Minnesota Historical Society M-Flame Logo
Other languages banner
National Farmers' Bank of Owatonna, Cedar and Broadway, 1910

National Farmers' Bank of Owatonna, Cedar and Broadway, 1910
 
Steele Census Information
 
Estab:  February 20, 1855
Parent Counties:  Rice, Blue Earth, Le Sueur
 
 
 
Steele county with county seat
 

Southeast region of Minnesota Southwest region of Minnesota Northwest region of Minnesota Northeast region of Minnesota Central region of Minnesota

SEARCH FOR A NAME
 
Go to Mn. Place Names Home page
Steele
Go to Steele County Towns page
Go to Steele Lakes & Streams page
Go to Steele People page
Go to Steele Other Items page
Go to Steele names from other languages or places page
  Your search for Owatonna in Steele County returned the following:

Steele County

OWATONNA, the county seat, earliest settled in 1854 and platted in September 1855, was incorporated as a town August 9, 1858, and as a city February 23, 1865. Its post office was established in 1855. The townsite is on land originally owned by A. B. Cornell, W. F. Pettit, and John Abbott, with 120 acres platted into 21 blocks and a public square; it had a station of the Chicago and North Western Railway. The township was organized, with its present area, February 27, 1857. This was the Dakota name of the Straight River, which is its translation. The river was mapped, but not named, on the map of Minnesota Territory in 1855; on the early state maps, in 1860 and 1869, it is called Owatonna River, but in 1870 it is named Straight River.