Minnesota Historical Society M-Flame Logo
Townships and Villages banner
Pigeon River Falls, Cook County, 1910.

Pigeon River Falls, Cook County, 1910.
 
Cook Census Information
 
Estab:  March 9, 1874
Parent County:  Lake
 
 
 
Cook county with county seat
 

Southeast region of Minnesota Southwest region of Minnesota Northwest region of Minnesota Northeast region of Minnesota Central region of Minnesota

SEARCH FOR A NAME
 
Go to Mn. Place Names Home page
Cook
Go to Cook County Towns page
Go to Cook Lakes & Streams page
Go to Cook People page
Go to Cook Other Items page
Go to Cook names from other languages or places page
  Your search for Grand Marais in Cook County returned the following:

Cook County

The city of Grand Marais in Rosebush Township (T. 61N, R. 1E), sections 20 and 21, was incorporated on April 21, 1903, and separated from the township on March 27, 1906. Ed. W. Wakelin purchased the first piece of property on the bay in 1872; by the end of 1873, Wakelin, Henry Mayhew and Samuel F. Howenstein owned all the land comprising the original village and lands along West and East Bays and retained control until the early 1900s in spite of buildings, docks, warehouses, railroad rights-of-way, and ore docks. The Mayhew brothers, Henry and Thomas W., had a store on the point made by the bays that served as a trading post; Joseph E. Mayhew was the first lighthouse keeper in 1886. The post office was established in Superior County, Wis., 1856-57, changed its name to Hiawatha, 1857-58, and became Grand Marais in 1873.