Minnesota Historical Society M-Flame Logo
Townships and Villages banner
Boating on Cass Lake. 1920.

Boating on Cass Lake. 1920.
 
Cass Census Information
 
Estab:  September 1, 1851
Parent Counties:  Dakota, Pembina, Mankahto, Wahnata
 
 
 
Cass county with county seat
 

Southeast region of Minnesota Southwest region of Minnesota Northwest region of Minnesota Northeast region of Minnesota Central region of Minnesota

SEARCH FOR A NAME
 
Go to Mn. Place Names Home page
Cass
Go to Cass County Towns page
Go to Cass Lakes & Streams page
Go to Cass People page
Go to Cass Other Items page
Go to Cass names from other languages or places page
  Your search for Pillager in Cass County returned the following:

Cass County

PILLAGER, a city in Sylvan Township, the adjoining Pillager Creek, and the lake of this name at its source are derived from the term Pillagers, applied to the Ojibwe of this vicinity and of the Leech Lake Reservation. According to the accounts given by Schoolcraft and his associate Dr. Douglass Houghton in the Narrative of the expedition in 1832 to Itasca Lake (pp. 111, 112, 254), this name, Mukkundwais or Pillagers, originated in the fall of 1767 or 1768, when a trader named Berti, who had a trading post at the mouth of Crow Wing River, was robbed of his goods.

Warren gave in the History of the Ojibway People, written in 1852, a more detailed narration of the robbery, or pillage, referring it erroneously to the year 1781. The name Pillagers, given to the Leech Lake band of the Ojibwe, had come into use as early as 1775, when the elder Alexander Henry found some of them at the Lake of the Woods.

Pillager was first settled in 1886 with a station of the Northern Pacific Railroad, a general store, a hotel, and a blacksmith; it incorporated as a village on September 4, 1900; its post office was established in 1886.