Due to scheduled maintenance, parts of MNHS.org will be inaccessible on Monday, November 24.
Minnesota Historical Society M-Flame Logo
Townships and Villages banner
Devil's Chair, 1910.

Devil's Chair, 1910.
 
Chisago Census Information
 
Estab:  September 1, 1851
Parent Counties:  Washington, Ramsey
 
 
 
Chisago county with county seat
 

Southeast region of Minnesota Southwest region of Minnesota Northwest region of Minnesota Northeast region of Minnesota Central region of Minnesota

SEARCH FOR A NAME
 
Go to Mn. Place Names Home page
Chisago
Go to Chisago County Towns page
Go to Chisago Lakes & Streams page
Go to Chisago People page
Go to Chisago Other Items page
Go to Chisago names from other languages or places page
  Your search for Taylors Falls in Chisago County returned the following:

Chisago County

TAYLORS FALLS, a city at the head of the Dalles of the St. Croix River, in Shafer Township, platted in 1850-51, incorporated July 15, 1858, during many years the county seat, was named for Jesse Taylor, who came in 1838, and Joshua L. Taylor, to whom the former sold his claim in 1846. Jesse Taylor, pioneer, was born in Kentucky; was employed as a stone mason at Fort Snelling; was the first settler here, in 1838, and owned a sawmill; removed to Stillwater in 1846 and resided there until 1853; and was a representative in the territorial legislature, 1851-52. Joshua Lovejoy Taylor was born in Sanbornton, N.H., in 1816, and died in Ashland, Wis., April 27, 1901. He came to Minnesota in 1840, settling at Taylors Falls; engaged in lumbering; preempted a part of the site of this village; lived in California, 1849-56; returned here in 1856; and removed to Ashland in 1896. The city was reincorporated on November 14, 1901, and March 14, 1913, at which time it separated from the township. The city was earlier known as Baker's Falls when a company of that name was located here, then Taylor Place when platted; the post office was established in 1851, while still part of Washington County, Nathan C. D. Taylor, first postmaster. The community is the access point to the Dalles of the St. Croix River and Interstate Park.