Minnesota Historical Society M-Flame Logo
Townships and Villages banner
Northern Pacific Railway bridge and engine at Duluth. Stereograph, 1870

Northern Pacific Railway bridge and engine at Duluth. Stereograph, 1870
 
Lake Census Information
 
Estab:  March 1, 1856
Parent County:  Itasca
 
 
 
Lake county with county seat
 

Southeast region of Minnesota Southwest region of Minnesota Northwest region of Minnesota Northeast region of Minnesota Central region of Minnesota

SEARCH FOR A NAME
 
Go to Mn. Place Names Home page
Lake
Go to Lake County Towns page
Go to Lake Lakes & Streams page
Go to Lake People page
Go to Lake Other Items page
Go to Lake names from other languages or places page
  Your search for Two Harbors in Lake County returned the following:

Lake County

The city of Two Harbors is the county seat and a major shipping point for iron ore on Lake Superior; it lies on two little bays, natural harbors, named Agate and Burlington Bays, the ore docks being on the western Agate Bay. Beach sand and gravel here contain frequent pebbles of banded chalcedony called agate. The city was platted in 1885 as Agate Bay, although its post office was known as Two Harbors when established in 1883; it was incorporated as a village March 9, 1888, and as a city February 26, 1907. The townsite of Burlington at Burlington Bay was platted in 1856, first incorporated on May 23, 1857, and later incorporated with Agate Bay as Two Harbors; Burlington had a post office, 1856-62. The first shipment of ore arrived from the Soudan Mine on July 31, 1884. It is the site of the Edna G., a tugboat owned by the Duluth, Missabe and Iron Range Railroad, built in 1896 and named for Edna Greatsinger, daughter of Jacob Greatsinger, president of the railroad; the tug was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975 as the only steam-powered tug operating on a Great Lake. Segog, named for developer Ray F. Segog, is one of several additions to the city.