Minnesota Historical Society M-Flame Logo
Townships and Villages banner
Pickwick Mill, 1945

Pickwick Mill, 1945
 
Winona Census Information
 
Estab:  February 23, 1854
Parent Counties:  Fillmore, Wabasha
 
 
 
Winona county with county seat
 

Southeast region of Minnesota Southwest region of Minnesota Northwest region of Minnesota Northeast region of Minnesota Central region of Minnesota

SEARCH FOR A NAME
 
Go to Mn. Place Names Home page
Winona
Go to Winona County Towns page
Go to Winona Lakes & Streams page
Go to Winona People page
Go to Winona Other Items page
Go to Winona names from other languages or places page
  Your search for Winona in Winona County returned the following:

Winona County

WINONA, the county seat, platted June 19, 1852, was at first named Montezuma by Ervin H. Johnson, one of the proprietors of the site, for the Aztec war chief of Mexico at the time of the Spanish conquest, who was born in 1477 and died June 30, 1520. It was changed to Winona through request of Henry D. Huff, who in 1853 bought an interest in the townsite and platted an addition. This Dakota name has been fully noticed at the beginning of this chapter. A sobriquet often used is "the Gate City."

"The site of Winona was known to the French as La Prairie aux Ailes (pronounced O'Zell) or the Wing's prairie, presumably because of its having been occupied by members of Red Wing's band." It was latest occupied by Wabasha, the last of the Dakota leaders for whom the county next northward was named, whose village here was called Keoxa, "difficult of translation, but it may be rendered as 'The Homestead,' because in the springtime there was here a family reunion to honor the dead and invoke their blessings upon the land" (History of Winona County, 1883, p. 25). Prof. A. W. Williamson spelled and defined this name more correctly that "the name of the band was Kiyuksan, breakers in two, or violators, so called because they violated the custom forbidding relatives, however distant, to marry."