Due to scheduled maintenance, parts of MNHS.org will be inaccessible on Monday, November 24.
Minnesota Historical Society M-Flame Logo
Townships and Villages banner
Stairway leading up to Barn Bluff, Red Wing. 1910

Stairway leading up to Barn Bluff, Red Wing. 1910
 
Goodhue Census Information
 
Estab:  March 5, 1853
Parent Counties:  Wabasha, Dakota
 
 
 
Goodhue county with county seat
 

Southeast region of Minnesota Southwest region of Minnesota Northwest region of Minnesota Northeast region of Minnesota Central region of Minnesota

SEARCH FOR A NAME
 
Go to Mn. Place Names Home page
Goodhue
Go to Goodhue County Towns page
Go to Goodhue Lakes & Streams page
Go to Goodhue People page
Go to Goodhue Other Items page
Go to Goodhue names from other languages or places page
  Your search for Cannon Falls Township in Goodhue County returned the following:

Goodhue County

CANNON FALLS Township, settled in 1854, organized in 1858, derived its name from the falls of the Cannon River, as it was named by Zebulon Pike in 1806, by William H. Keating's narrative of Maj. Stephen H. Long's expedition in 1823, and on Joseph N. Nicollet's map, 1843, erroneously changed from the early French name, Riviere aux Canots, which alluded to canoes left near its mouth by parties of Indians on war or hunting expeditions. Cannon Falls city, platted August 27, 1855, was incorporated as a village February 19, 1874, and adopted its city charter on February 13, 1905. The post office was first called Cannon River Falls, 1855-89; it had a station of the Chicago Great Western Railroad.