People banner
St. Paul Union Depot, 1887

St. Paul Union Depot, 1887
 
Ramsey Census Information
 
Estab:  October 27, 1849
Parent County:  St Croix
 
 
 
Ramsey county with county seat
 

Southeast region of Minnesota Southwest region of Minnesota Northwest region of Minnesota Northeast region of Minnesota Central region of Minnesota

SEARCH FOR A NAME
 
Go to Mn. Place Names Home page
Ramsey
Go to Ramsey County Towns page
Go to Ramsey Lakes & Streams page
Go to Ramsey People page
Go to Ramsey Other Items page
Go to Ramsey names from other languages or places page
  Your search for Harriet Bishop in Ramsey County returned the following:

Ramsey County

Beside the center of St. Paul, at the foot of the bluff of Riverview, are Harriet and Raspberry (later Navy) Islands of the Mississippi. Harriet Island, containing 28 acres, donated to this city by Dr. Justus Ohage, May 26, 1900, is used as a public playground. It was named very long ago in honor of Harriet E. Bishop, who was born in Vergennes, Vt., January 1, 1817, and died in St. Paul, August 8, 1883. She came to St. Paul in 1847 to open the first permanent school in this city. Through her influence a Sunday school also was soon organized, and in the next year a public building was erected to accommodate the school and preaching services. She was the author of Floral Home, or First Years of Minnesota (1857) and other books.

 

Minnesota Historical Society· 345 W. Kellogg Blvd., St. Paul, MN 55102-1906· 651-259-3000   Copyright ©  2009
Send questions/comments about this web site to the Webmaster. View our Privacy Policy. Support MHS.