Minnesota Historical Society M-Flame Logo
Lakes and Streams banner
Fort Pomme de Terre site, Grant County, 1972

Fort Pomme de Terre site, Grant County, 1972
 
Grant Census Information
 
Estab:  March 6, 1868
Parent Counties:  Stevens, Wilkin, Traverse
 
 
 
Grant county with county seat
 

Southeast region of Minnesota Southwest region of Minnesota Northwest region of Minnesota Northeast region of Minnesota Central region of Minnesota

SEARCH FOR A NAME
 
Go to Mn. Place Names Home page
Grant
Go to Grant County Towns page
Go to Grant Lakes & Streams page
Go to Grant People page
Go to Grant Other Items page
Go to Grant names from other languages or places page
  Your search for Pomme de Terre River in Grant County returned the following:

Grant County

POMME DE TERRE Township, organized July 17, 1877, took the name of the large lake at its southeast border, whence also the Pomme de Terre River, flowing from it to the Minnesota River, was named. It is received from the early French voyageurs and traders, meaning literally apple of the earth, that is, a potato, but it was here applied to the edible ovoid-shaped root of the wild turnip (Psoralea esculenta), called Tipsinah by the Dakota. This much esteemed aboriginal food plant, very valuable to these Indians, formerly was common on dry and somewhat gravelly parts of upland prairies throughout southwestern Minnesota. The old village of Pomme de Terre, in section 24, platted in 1874, was the first village in the county, then superseded by railway towns. A post office was located in section 24, 1868-79 and 1880-1902, first established in Stevens County, with a station of the Soo Line.